Frequently Asked Questions


  • The property has just been sold and new agents/landlords will be taking over the tenancy. What do we need to do to transfer agents/landlords?

    The transfer of ownership and/or agency must be handled by the controlling agent/landlord. They must arrange for the new agent/landlord to be registered with The DPS and the existing agent/landlord will then be able to transfer the deposit to the new agent/landlord. The deposit status will need to be ‘Active’ for a transfer to take place. Once the process is complete you will receive a confirmation that an agent/landlord transfer has taken place and be given details of the new agent/landlord.

    If you still have a question on this matter please email us using the Online Form.
  • The registered agent is no longer trading, what should I do?

    You will need to contact us with confirmation that the registered agent is no longer trading, and provide evidence that you are the registered landlord for the property concerned. Once we are satisfied with the information supplied, we will complete an agent/landlord transfer.

    If you still have questions on this matter please contact us using our Online Form.

  • The landlord/tenant has died, what should I do?

    If the registered landlord has died, a landlord transfer can be completed by the next of kin. Landlord transfers can be completed online via the deceased’s account. Alternatively you can phone us on 0330 303 0030 or use our Online Form to request a Landlord Transfer Form.

    If a tenant has died, the Joint Deposit Repayment process must be completed by the registered agent/landlord and next of kin or personal representative of the deceased tenant. For details on how to change the tenant's details, please see 'Maintaining tenants’ details'.

    If you still have questions on this matter please contact us using our Online Form.

  • How do I make a change to the tenant(s) registered against a deposit?

    If the lead tenant is leaving the property and is being replaced by a new lead tenant, the Joint Deposit Repayment process should be followed. A new deposit will then need to be secured in respect of the new tenancy details. If the deposit relates to a sole tenancy and the tenant is not co-operating with regard to the repayment of the deposit or is un-contactable, you can make a claim against the deposit by starting the Single Claim process.

    If, for any reason, either of the above options are not possible then we may consider processing the change of tenant on your behalf. In order to request a change in tenant, please provide the details of the change together with the reason for the change, by completing our Online Form.

Contact Us

The Deposit Protection Service
The Pavilions
Bridgwater Road
BS99 6AA

Or call our dedicated help line on 0330 303 0030.

Our customer service centre operates Monday to Friday from 08:00 – 18:30.

Copyright © 2011 Deposit Protection Service, a trading name of Computershare Investor Services Plc. All rights reserved. Registered address: The DPS, The Pavilions, Bridgwater Road, Bristol, BS99 6AA.