Frequently Asked Questions

End of Tenancy

  • The other party is not contactable / not responding to communications?

    In these circumstances the Single Claim Process is available. This is a method of repayment which can be used if:

    1. The agent/landlord has no current address for the tenant
    2. The tenant fails to respond to the agent/landlord’s written notice requiring that the agent/landlord be paid some or all of the deposit within 14 calendar days of the end of the tenancy
    3. The tenant has no current address for the agent/landlord
    4. The agent/landlord fails to respond to the tenant’s written notice asking whether the agent/landlord accepts that the tenant should be paid some or all of the deposit within 14 calendar days of the end of the tenancy.
    The Single Claim Process is defined by The Housing (Tenancy Deposit Schemes) Order 2007 - No 796. To find out more, see our FAQs under ‘What is the Single Claims process?

    If you still have questions on this matter please contact us using our Online Form.

  • How do I make a Single Claim?
    To use the Single Claim Process, either the agent/landlord or lead tenant claiming part or all of the deposit must provide us with a Statutory Declaration at least 14 calendar days after the tenancy has ended. Lead tenants can obtain a Statutory Declaration by logging into their deposit and selecting ’Start Single Claim Process‘ from the Repayments tab.

    Should you be unable to complete this online, you can request a Statutory Declaration using our Online Form.

  • What happens if there is a dispute?

    The DPS offers a free, evidenced-based Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) service to deal with disputes related to the tenancy deposit. In the event of a dispute, both the agent/landlord and tenant must consent to use the ADR service and agree to be bound by the Adjudicator’s decision.

    For more information on the ADR service, please see our FAQs under ‘What is the Alternative Dispute Resolution Service (ADR)?’

    The courts can still be used to resolve disputes if either party does not give consent to use the ADR service. To find out more, please see the FAQ ‘Can I send a Court Order for the deposit to be repaid?’ below.

    If you still have questions on this matter please contact us using our Online Form.

  • Can I send a Court Order for the deposit to be repaid?

    If you are seeking a judgment in the county courts against your landlord/agent and intend that the deposit held by The DPS be paid to you in satisfaction of the judgment, you must ensure the Court makes an order which refers to:

    • The amount of the deposit,
    • Who it should be released to, and
    • The Deposit and/ or the scheme administrator holding the Deposit

    It is not sufficient to obtain an order for rent arrears or for possession for the property only.

    In the event that the final Court Order does not comply with the above, the successful party may apply to the Court for a Third Party Debt Order, which could direct The DPS to pay part or all of the deposit to them.

    Please be aware that, if The DPS is listed as a party, we will apply to the Court to change the parties to the Court action to represent the landlord/agent and tenant(s).

    If you still have questions on this matter please contact us using our Online Form.

  • The status of my deposit is "disputed claim", what do I do?

    Once you have logged in using your Deposit ID and Repayment ID you will be given the option to 'Request a Repayment'.

    Step 1 of 4 – Deposit Distribution - Enter any UNDISPUTED amounts. If the whole Deposit amount is in dispute, please leave both boxes, the amount to be returned and the amount to be forfeited, as £0.00. Only amounts that both parties have agreed to should be entered at this stage.

    Step 2 of 4 – Tenant Allocation or Tenant Details - Enter your forwarding address and the details of any other Tenants. Please also enter the bank account details for all Tenants who are entitled to a share of any undisputed amount.

    Step 3 of 4 – Tenant Review – Please review the summary and agree to use our Alternative Dispute Resolution Service and enter your Repayment ID.

    Step 4 of 4 is confirmation that you have successfully completed your part of the Joint Deposit Repayment claim process.

    We will now write to your former Agent/Landlord asking them to respond to your proposal and if no response is received a reminder will be sent in 7 calendar days.

  • Do you provide legal advice?
    Our customer service agents are trained to provide help in relation to all DPS processes and procedures. This includes general advice around evidence submission relating to our dispute resolution service, all of which can also be found in our guide to tenancy deposits, disputes and damages. Our agents are not trained to provide legal advice of any kind and you should seek independent advice if you are unsure about your situation.
  • What do I do if my repayment ID is lost?

    You can request a repayment ID reminder via SMS - just text REPAY followed by your deposit ID and the deposit amount to 07537 404 808. If we cannot send your repayment ID reminder to your mobile, we will endeavour to send it to your registered email address.

    Alternatively a repayment ID reminder for your deposit can be requested using our Online Form or by calling us on 0330 303 0030.

    We will verify the identity of the person requesting the repayment ID, which can then be sent either by post or email.

Contact Us

The Deposit Protection Service
The Pavilions
Bridgwater Road
BS99 6AA

Or call our dedicated help line on 0330 303 0030.

Our customer service centre operates Monday to Friday from 08:00 – 18:30.

Copyright © 2011 Deposit Protection Service, a trading name of Computershare Investor Services Plc. All rights reserved. Registered address: The DPS, The Pavilions, Bridgwater Road, Bristol, BS99 6AA.