Frequently Asked Questions


  • The property has been sold and a new agent/landlord will be taking over the tenancy. Can we transfer the deposit?
    No. A deposit cannot be transferred to a different agent/landlord. You should mark the deposit as closed and ask the new agent/landlord to register the deposit in line with the legislation.
  • The registered agent is no longer trading or the property has been sold. Can we transfer the deposit?
    No. If the property has been sold or the agent responsible is no longer trading then you should contact the registered agent/landlord who should arrange for the deposit to be returned and the deposit to be closed.
  • A receiver has been appointed to manage the property - do I need to take any action?
    As the agent/landlord currently holds the deposit you will need to contact the receiver, in the first instance, to arrange for the deposit to be refunded. If this action is unsuccessful, you will need to raise a dispute by logging into your account.
  • The landlord/tenant has died - what should I do?
    If the registered landlord has died, the deposit can be returned by the landlord's next of kin.

    If a tenant has died the registered agent/landlord and next of kin or personal representative of the deceased tenant should arrange for the deposit to be returned.

    If you still have questions on this matter please contact us using our Online Form.

Contact Us

The Deposit Protection Service
The Pavilions
Bridgwater Road
BS99 6AA

Or call our dedicated help line on 0330 303 0030.

Our customer service centre operates Monday to Friday from 08:00 – 18:30.

Copyright © 2011 Deposit Protection Service, a trading name of Computershare Investor Services Plc. All rights reserved. Registered address: The DPS, The Pavilions, Bridgwater Road, Bristol, BS99 6AA.